Friday, April 17, 2009

mirror.

for the first installment of my new blog series, i am going to write about the song mirror by barlowgirl. this song is amazing.

mirror, mirror on the wall, have i got it?
'cause mirror you've always told me who i am
i'm finding it's not easy to be perfect
so sorry you won't define me
sorry you don't own me

who are you to tell me that i'm less than what i should be?
who are you? who are you?
i don't need to listen to the list of things i should do
i won't try, i won't try

mirror i am seeing a new reflection
i'm looking into the eyes of He who made me
and to Him i have beauty beyond compare
i know He defines me

you don't define me, you don't define me

i really like this song for multiple reasons. as much as i hate to admit it, i completely care what other people think of me when it comes to ministry. i have been trying to be a cookie-cutter christian for a long time, trying to do what the church says i should do. not the church like in the bible, but the church as in the man-constructed institution. sometimes when i feel in my heart that i should do something, i feel held back because of what people will think. this song helps me remember that it isn't about what other people think and that i don't need to try to live up to what they say i need to be.

this song is also one that makes me think of the children in zimbabwe. there is a little girl who lives in one of the orphanages that alan and dorothy help who's mother named her no matter. she is just one example of thousands of children who are told from a young age that they don't matter. but alan and dorothy have renamed her precious because that is what she is to God. her mother tried to define her one way, but to God she is beauty beyond compare.

mirror i am seeing a new reflection...

No comments: